Wednesday, April 30, 2008

end-of-April update

Various bits of news as April comes to a close and the summer starts to heat up in Tucson:

Linguistics first:

1. Family size effects continue to intrigue me. I'll be re-writing a paper over the summer in which I try to model the Semitic lexicon based on these effects.

2. The Maltese database rocks, and the Hebrew database isn't far behind. I'm extremely grateful to Jerid Francom and Dainon Woudstra for their amazing talents and hard work.

3. I have a number of students working on really really cool end-of-semester projects. I feel so lucky to get to work with these students.

4. I got tenure. Yup!

Neighborhood-related stuff:

1. Sixth Ave and Stone Ave are now two-way streets from Broadway to 18th St. They are so much nicer now! Traffic has slowed to a delicious pace.

2. The wall hiding the old Carnegie Library (currently occupied by the Tucson Children's Museum) has been taken down, revealing an architectural gem. Way to go!

3. One North Fifth is making great progress - construction, not just destruction!

4. The 4th Ave underpass project is progressing so quickly, making all the traffic headaches worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home